Friday, May 27, 2011

Used Wigs, Scarves, Hats and Sunscreen (PLEASE)

A Request Please:  Wigs, scarves and hats

Before someone says it: yes, I know the cancer society supposedly gives away free wigs.  But I also know that involves making an appointment and sitting for some time trying them on.  My local cancer clinic also has a glamour night where they provide the same thing – wigs, scarves and hats to try on, and makeovers, and such – and yes, I would absolutely love to go.  But I don’t because most of my time right now is spent barely getting out of bed, and when I do I have to carry a vomit bag with me.  I only leave the house for my radiation and chemo appointments now, and the few nasty social services appointments I have to sit through while trying to get aid for my Cobra medical payments.  I’m just too sick to keep most appointments and wind up cancelling, and I’m too sick to sit for long trying things on.  I would so very much love to try on wigs and hats and scarves.  I’ve seen a few on other patients I really like.  But shopping for them just is not going to happen for a very long time for me.

So I was wondering … maybe someone has an old wig in their closet that they no longer wear, or maybe they might see one real cheap in a thrift store.  Maybe you could send it to me.  I don’t care what color or length or short or whatever.  Or if you see a cancer head scarf, any color or style.  I’m also supposed to stay out of the sun entirely and to wear hats, preferably large brim, so my shoulders are covered for any time I go outside.  I live in Nevada and we are approaching the hot summer weather.  Being a cancer patient causes my internal thermostat to go crazy.  I feel like I’m running a hundred ten degree fever all the time, so I freeze everyone else out with the mini a/c and swamp cooler.  The sun here is exceptionally bright.  I was also told to wear sunscreen, lots of it, but you know how expensive sunscreen is.  If you have any left over amounts from last year’s summer, it would be so appreciated.

Needed items: 
WIGS:  Old, used, neglected, no longer worn, any color, any length.
CANCER HEAD SCARVES:  These scarves can sometimes be found in thrift shops.  One section of the scarf conforms to your head and the rest hangs down.
HATS:  Large brim that will cover shoulders.  Stiff brims are better since the floppy ones flop down and expose the shoulders.
SUNSCREEN:  Preferably factor 50, any left over containers or sprays or jars.

My address is Elaine Swe,
P. O. Box 363323, North Las Vegas, NV 89036
.

No comments:

Post a Comment