Monday, March 7, 2011

UCLA Appointment is Today!

It's 2am in the morning on Monday, March 7th.  I'm headed to UCLA today for the cancer surgery consult appointment at 2pm.  I can't sleep.  The anticipation is too high.  I'm hoping they will approve me for the surgery to remove the tumor but I really feel awful and anxious because my fear is that they will not do the surgery or they will say it is only "salvage surgery".  I'm very stressed.  It's a long drive, expensive with gas prices so high, and I'm sick with a very bad cold.  I've been in bed for two days straight, and don't look forward to this exhausting trip.  I know I've lost more weight.  I'm guessing ten pounds or so.  I was told it was very important to keep my weight up for the surgery and I haven't even been able to do that.  We found a fairly cheap hotel for a one night stay over.  I don't think I could do a round trip without some rest in between - although if we get bad news I may want to just hurry back rather than waste another precious day away.  But I shouldn't think about that.
It's so sad.  My husband was crying yesterday.  He asked me how much bad luck can be heaped on us all at once and continue for so long?  Why can't we get some good news?  I know how he feels and there's nothing we can do about it.  I want to make him feel better, but I can't.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Elaine, I don't know if it helps to know this or not, but I will be praying for you and your husband as you make the trip today and see these doctors for the consultation.
    Love,
    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found you on craigslist and everyday I come here to read about you. You are on my prayers, just don't give up. You are sooooo strong and I have been learning a lot from you! How old is your son in the picture? He is very cute! I am a babysitter. I wish I lived there, I would love to help you!

    ReplyDelete